• The potentially fatal dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home are being highlighted in a new campaign. Research showed that some 20 million households in the UK are putting themselves at risk by not taking precautions to detect ……
Source: Sky News
the gas, which has no colour, taste or smell.
The campaign, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed, aims to encourage people to ensure they have an alarm fitted and have their gas, oil and solid fuel-burning appliances serviced annually.
Kirstie Allsopp, presenter of property programme Location, Location, Location, is backing the campaign along with various victims’ charities, professional organisations and energy companies.
She said: “Carbon monoxide can kill you or leave you with permanent brain damage. It’s easy to protect yourself: fit an audible alarm and get your boiler and other fuel-burning appliances checked at least once a year.
Stacey Rodgers, whose 10-year-old son Dominic died in 2004 after carbon monoxide (CO) from a neighbour’s boiler seeped into his bedroom in Huddersfield, is also backing the campaign.
The symptoms of CO poisoning include nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches, loss of balance and forgetfulness.
Research shows that currently only 6% of people describe themselves as “very confident” that they would recognise the symptoms.
Many believe it to have affected them at some point in their lives, however, with one in 30 saying they had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Nigel Dumbrell, of the Carbon Monoxide Consumer Awareness Alliance, said: “Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell – it is impossible to detect without an alarm.
“Even at levels that don’t kill, carbon monoxide can cause lasting damage to your health.